Wednesday 15 May 2013


Breakfast at Paraguay's

I don't generally like talking about myself too much, especially through this medium known as the blog, so I will mostly be explaining where I am, what it's all about and what everyone is doing. At times the posts will be fun and entertaining, but sometimes they will be technical and will explain how something is done and why. So before I disclaim my life away I'll let you guys and gals know where I am and what is happening.

Right now I'm in Paraguay, right here:


Paraguay (Hope Google doesn't mind)

A small and land-locked country in south America that is rarely visited by tourists due to a lack of a 'coastal ecosystem' (defined as an ecosystem containing predominantly salt water, sand, alcohol, and umbrellas ranging in size from 'shady margarita' to 'beached tourist'. The main species present in this ecosystem is the homosapien typically found lying face up, face down or engaging in some type of throwing or wading. No one knows the exact cause of attraction of the homo-sapien to the coastal ecosystem, but theories suggesting survival, sex, aesthetic broiling, transcendental experience, and recreation to be some of the leading causes).



Two languages are spoken in Paraguay including Spanish and Guarani. Guarani is the native tribal dialect that is only spoken in Paraguay and does not resemble any other language. I've only come to know how to say the word guitar in Guarani which is baraka and cat which is barakaja. The two sound very similar, but my lack of Guaranian syntax knowledge prevents me from knowing why, but my most basic guess is that both things can make sounds that are both sweet and obnoxious. 

I will be staying at the Laguna Blanca Natural Reserve for the next 3 months as part of a capuchin monkey research project. The project is one of the several projects being undertaken by Para La Tierra (an NGO out of the UK) that aims to protect Paraguay's understudied biodiversity by utilizing public outreach, education and by providing a research base for students of various zoological and ecological backgrounds to facilitate their own research projects. 

The pink star is the Para La Tierra Research Base. The three different ecosystems are clearly
outlined, as well as the land conversion to agriculture in the vicinity. (Photo Cred. Google - Hope they still don't mind)


There are 3 main ecosystems found in this area that include Atlantic Forest, Transitional Forest and Cerrado. All three of these regions have been disturbed by land transformation, predominantly for large scale agricultural operations, however the federal natural reserve status that was assigned to the region 3 years ago (thanks to the work of Karina Atkinson) means that 400 hectares of this ecosystem apex will remain protected until 2015 (whereupon its reserve status will be reviewed). Over 30 species have been discovered here in the last 3 years that are a first discovery in Paraguay and 1-3 species have been discovered that are completely new to science. 

The outskirts of the Atlantic Forest

The Cerrado

Capuchin monkey business in the Atlantic Forest


I'll keep you guys posted. But before I go, I'll leave you guys with this video I put together the other day of a leaf-cutter ant colony that has trails running around our base. Cheers.
(Song Credit Michael Kiwanuka.)

4 comments:

  1. I look forward to following your journey and experiences to come. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. little ants building a new home, or a better one?

    i bet they had an awesome shiitake dinner, later that night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aha! Your blog exists! Hope you're having fun dude.

    Shame about that lack of a coastal ecosystem, I'll give you an in depth report on the ones I'm visiting when you get back. :P

    I must say, the ant video was a bit disappointing though, then again, I'm not sure what I was expecting. I'm expecting more from your monkey observations haha.

    Peace out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice, I like the definition of a "coastal ecosystem"

    PS: this has inspired me to make a blog as well.

    ReplyDelete